We’re currently hiring for the following positions:
Title: Livestock Manager
Time Commitment: Full Time
Schedule: 40-45 hours per week
About Sky High Farm:
Sky High Farm is a non-profit organization working to ensure that everyone has access to the resources they need to sustain themselves, including high-quality, culturally appropriate food. Since 2012, we have committed to regenerative farming practices and an environmentally holistic, equity-focused approach to promoting food sovereignty. This includes support for burgeoning farmers through formal training and mentoring; grants to catalyze a more equitable and community-centered food system; and food access partnerships - 100% of food produced on-site is donated to community partners in our collective effort to achieve long-term solutions to food insecurity.
About the position:
The Sky High Farm Livestock Manager is a full-time position that oversees the planning and daily needs of the livestock program. The Livestock Manager will work alongside the Agricultural Director to develop a year-round production plan and manage animal welfare and livestock personnel. This position involves supervision and mentorship of up to two livestock Fellows, beginning farmers engaged in an intensive educational experience focused on livestock care and production.
● Support all practices and steps for Sky High’s rotational grazing program, including:
● Daily chores for all livestock
● Management of feed and feed sourcing
● Pasture management of cattle, sheep, pigs, and poultry
● Support animal health and welfare with intentional observation, reporting and practices that prioritize their quality of life
● Manage record keeping for all species of livestock and maintain daily tasks list for livestock personnel
● Support needed repair and maintenance of animal infrastructure
● Establish a slaughter schedule and coordinate livestock transport and cold storage of meat
● Educate and mentor seasonal fellows in all aspects of livestock production
At the discretion of the Agricultural Director, this position may also be asked to assist with activities associated with vegetable production, including:
● Propagation and plant production in the greenhouse
● Weekend watering, irrigation and propagation house ventilation management
Skills and Expertise:
● Commitment to Sky High’s mission and ecologically responsible farming practices
● Experience handling and treating livestock, including cattle, sheep, pigs and poultry
● Experience with animal husbandry
● Experience supervising and mentoring staff
● Detail oriented and capable of working independently and with a team
● Organized and able to maintain livestock records with regard to daily welfare, pasture rotation and feed consumption
● Equipment operation experience, including tractors and trailers
● Licensed to operate a motor vehicle and experience driving pick-up trucks
● Readiness to work outdoors performing physical labor safely in all types of weather, including rain or snow
● Readiness to perform tasks that include barn maintenance and cleaning, the movement of feed and hay, and tasks directly related to livestock management
● Ability to lift heavy items (e.g. up to and possibly over 50 lbs)
● Patience to teach and mentor seasonal fellows of varying skill level and experience
Additional Duties (preferred):
● The Livestock Manager will work with the Agricultural Director on a daily basis to communicate planning around operations and staff
● The Livestock Manager will work with the Agricultural Director to draft an annual plan of work to be approved by the COO or AD
● The Livestock Manager will assist the Agricultural Director with budgeting and budgeting management as it relates to animal care, relevant supplies, feed, fencing (e.g. interfacing with veterinarians as needed)
Teamwork is paramount. All Sky High staff are required to participate in routine meetings, performance reviews, safety trainings, and internal policy reviews.
Other relevant details:
To successfully support our work, Sky High reaches beyond conventional philanthropy, collaborating with a diverse and inspiring network of fashion brands, artists, and designers to generate resources that sustain our work locally and cultivate awareness around food justice and sustainability worldwide. As such, the farm is a frequent host of visitors, volunteers and press. As a member of our farm’s leadership team, the Livestock Manager may be asked to participate in these visits and events as part of this role.
● A minimum of 3-5 years working with livestock
● Experience operating farm equipment
● Valid U.S. Driver’s License
● Eligibility to work in the US
This job description synthesizes key responsibilities but does not necessarily capture all applicant job duties. As with the nature of farm work, adaptability is essential; Sky High’s priorities involve the production of food for food insecure New Yorkers and education of our seasonal fellowship program. As such, the shifting of resources may require temporary refocusing efforts in one area of the farm to achieve those goals.
Send your resume, cover letter, and references to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please indicate which position you are applying for in the subject line.